So, other than basic functions, most of the wiring of a baby's brain develops huge numbers of complex connections that lay the foundation for thinking, feelings, and behaviors.
6 Helpful Tips
- Remember baby brain development begins in the womb. The way mother treats her(his) body will greatly impact development in the womb. That is why nutrition and a healthy lifestyle free of drugs, alcohol and smoking is paramount.
- Remove stressors. Too much stress in a baby's life can actually retard baby brain development. Make sure that your baby lives in a safe environment, clear of hazards. In addition, attending to a baby's needs especially when it cries is very important for brain and emotional development.
- Talk to your baby. Talking helps develop language skills in the brain. Without this kind of stimulation, there can be a delay in speech and reading skills. In addition it helps form a strong emotional bond with the baby.
- Also read to them. Hearing a story also helps develop many different skills such as listening, reading and language. This also provides another opportunity for a parent and baby to bond. As children grow older they will develop an appreciation for books.
- Find great childcare. Baby's need large amount of attention and affection for proper brain and emotional development. If you can not be with your baby all times it is very important that you pick the right child care provider. Family and friends are always great but thoroughly vet any new babysitter or daycare, see what the adult to baby ratio is for instance. Don't risk your baby being neglected.
- Ask questions. If you are like a most parents, you will have tons of questions. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor or other parents for advice. You can also find many books at the local bookstore or library about child development. These can help you in providing the most brain enriching environment possible.